Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 11 (Kendall Shipp)





Hey everyone! Supai! Good Morning! It’s Kendall I would first like to say hello to my mom and dad because I have not seen them in almost two weeks and they got me international calling cards to call once a week but we obviously didn’t think about how we could get a phone even yet electricity so I just want them to know that this trip has been amazing. Our day yesterday started off at breakfast. The group that went to the boma that night shared their experiences and stories and to me it sounded like great time and a fun experience but I didn’t know how to react to their stories because I knew that it would be my time to go too. After breakfast the group and I went straight to work on the communities school. We had to try to plaster the rest of the wall and the only plastering I have tried to do is my half bathroom in my house with my mom. So it was a quite difficult task but I got the hang of it and at the end we covered three of the four walls. Another task that we did was covering the other room of the building floor with cement it was a team job because we formed an assembly getting the concrete to the building. I believe we really worked hard to get most of the work done and we transformed it from what it looked like when we got there and I am proud that I got the opportunity to help. We ended up working all day and after the worked day ended I started to realize that my time to stay with a family was near. When we got there the people greeted us with open arms and singing they were so happy that we had arrived even though they had already had the group before us. That made me really happy that the people were nice and wanted us to be a part of their community. The boma Dylan and I stayed in belonged to our mama Cecelia she again was so ecstatic that we were there and showed us where we were sleeping the bed was about the size of mine back home a king size the only difference was I had to share it with Dylan. After we got settled our mama’s son Meshaki was our guide around the boma he gave us traditional Maasai garments that we were during our stay. Meshaki took us to bring in all the cattle and he gave us herding sticks that we kept. He was very helpful during our time and he showed us so many aspects of their culture. I learned a lot from the Maasai people that day and it really has been a life changing experience and I am glad that I got the chance to go and I would like to take the time to thank all the people that made it possible for me to go on it.  Goodbye everyone I will see ya’ll on Thursday.

Kendall

0 comments:

Post a Comment