Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 9 (Natalie Rentrop)



Hello everyone this is Natalie telling you about our day in Tanzania. We woke up bright and early around 6:30 to go on a 4 mile hike. We hiked over a hill and at the bottom of the hill were caves where monkeys stay, but they were not there when we got there. The cave was the most incredible thing I have ever seen. We climbed down the other side of the hill and went into the cave. When we got down there, our instructor, Alex, told us about the cave. Every year, the Maasai tribes go into the cave for 6 months and kill their livestock and eat the meat. At night, monkeys live inside the caves, but they leave early in the morning to find food. Once we got out of the caves we walked back to camp and ate lunch. When we were done with lunch we went to a Maasi market where all of the people from the surrounding communities go and sell their goods. The market is very overwhelming because there are so many people selling all kinds of stuff. You can buy fabrics, food, medicine, shoes, and other goods. I have had the most amazing time in Africa and want to come back for longer. I have seen and done so many things that have changed my life for the better. I have learned more about myself during this time here than I ever would have if I did not come on this trip.
Natalie 
P.S. This is Luther Mercer. We will be staying in our homestays over the next two days. Please be patient as we get those blogs uploaded soon after.

1 comments:

Mr. Adcock said...

Dear Travelers,

Your posts have all been wonderful to read so far. Dylan's comment about materialism was particularly interesting, and one that we -- as readers back home -- can experience with you, to an extent, through your stories and photos.

If anyone gets a chance to comment on this, I was wondering about the Maasai market and what their goods are like? Are the Maasai known for anything in particular? Obviously my curiosity is killing me! :-)

Thank you for your dedication to meaningful reflections here. It's clear that this trip has been eye-opening for many of you, and through that experience you are able to teach us, your readers, as well!

Mr. A

Post a Comment